how to open aquarium shop in detail worlds first video
How to Start an Aquarium Shop
Planning the store
Start by planning.Research is the key to success. Investigate how you will lay out your store, price your fish, what kind of fish you will sell and which breeders to contact. Or maybe you would like to breed your own fish. Breeding aquarium fish is one of the steps to becoming a skilled aquarist.
Getting the supplies together
Gather supplies.Listed in the "Things You'll Need" section below.
Know your fish.Learn as much as possible about the fish you want to sell.
- Are the fish peaceful, semi-aggressive and aggressive?
- Know which fish will be compatible with other fish, how large fish will get and how quickly, what the fish will eat whether they are herbivores, carnivores, or omnivores.
- Know what the fish need their water temperature at for survival, best growth, and breeding.
Make sure the tank setups are working.Fish from a breeder might be ill. If you see signs of illness, remove the fish to a hospital tank. Check your fish daily and change the tank water often. Note: Commercialize your fish tanks as much as possible, but maintain happy fish. Healthy tanks attract customers.
Begin breeding and stocking your tanks.Before you add expensive tropical fish to your new tanks, you will need to go through the cycling process. This process is to avoid "new tank syndrome." You should cycle your tanks with a few hearty fish.
- Add easy breeder fish such as guppies and mollies. Once these have a stable population in your tanks, start buying different types of fish. Stock up on food and medications.
Caring for the fish
Keep healthy fish.This can be a challenge. Once your tanks are set up and cycled through, you will need to care for the fish. Maintaining healthy fish will include these tasks:
- Regular aquarium cleanings and water changes
- Regular filter maintenance
- Regular feedings, using a variety of healthy foods
- Recognizing any odd behaviors in your fish
- Inspecting your equipment
- Many problems start with water quality. The quality of the water can be compromised when the decorations-rocks, gravel, plastic plants-are added. They may contain limestone which will make the water alkaline. You will forever struggle with maintaining the pH balance in your tank. Make sure the decorations you use are clean, appropriate and of a quality material.
QuestionWhere can I buy fish for my business?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can contact a local breeder or breed your own fish. There are also many websites online where you can order fish.Thanks!
QuestionWhat type of water do I use in the tanks?Community AnswerIt depends on what type of fish you are buying to sell. If you are buying both saltwater and freshwater then you will want to have your fish tanks set up where all of the freshwater on a level is flowing together while the saltwater on that level is flowing with only other saltwater. To have the water flow between tanks you will want to create small oval shaped holes at the bottom and top of each piece of acrylic separating the different types of fish so that the water can flow freely from tank to tank.Thanks!
QuestionIs it possible to start a fish shop with only one breed of fish?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, but it would have to be an incredibly popular and appealing fish or else you wouldn't have enough of a profit to make it worthwhile.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I find breeders in my area?Community AnswerYou need to research on various sites and talk to people in your community!Thanks!
QuestionI am fully interested in aquariums and I have the knowledge also. Do I still need an education first?Earthgirl20Community AnswerIf you are not interested in being one hundred percent educated in aquariums and fish, then you are better off not starting a business. It's much harder than it seems. Customers won't want to buy sick fish. They will also ask many questions, so you would want to give them correct answers.Thanks!
QuestionIf I were to create my own pure strain of guppy that looks like a sparkling red-to-yellow (white-shiny, half cobra-spotted) guppy, how would I get someone to buy such a fish?GenderfluidBeanCommunity AnswerI would recommend that you advertise your fish on AquaBid.com. They have a huge community of fishkeepers who are looking to buy fish like that. Make sure that your strain is true-breeding, though. Most people won't buy into a strain unless they know that a majority of the fish born will look like the parents.Thanks!
How much do I need to invest when starting an aquarium shop?
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
- Know your general plants and their needs (Lights/Fertilizers) and what types of fish do well in similar conditions.
- Quarantine fish before putting them in the tanks, when customers realize you have healthy fish they'll want to come back.
- Don't sacrifice quality when tempted to buy cheap heaters.
- Making each tank maintain itself with the right types of fish and other living things will reduce your maintenance workload some but not all. Still it is worth it to let algae eaters to the first line of defense and other cleaning shrimp, snails and fish provide an added layer of self maintenance.
- Test Often. Daily. Keep everything in balance as much as possible (According to the normal "Cycle" of a tank). Don't change the pH unless you know what you are doing.
- Keep the price of your fish low, but high enough to make a profit.
- Know what fish are aggressive and which are not. You don't want to send 3 fish home with a family and the children watch the bigger one eat the other two! (Unless they are feeders)
- Know that goldfish are some of the worst fish as far as keeping water clean and that you will likely have to filter their water 2 to 3 times as much as the others.
- Certain fish eat their fry. It's a good idea to separate the fry from the adults.
- Divide your store by the various types of tanks you will have. (Freshwater Hi Temp/ Low Temp, Saltwater, Brackish water, Goldfish tanks, etc..)
- Colored gravel and fake plants will make your tanks more eye-pleasing to your customers.
- Give customers a reason to come to your store rather than commercial pet stores (lower cost, high quality, beauty, healthy, more options, better advice).
- Come up with a backup plan if the power goes down. Some fish can survive for some time without filtration, heating, etc., but some fish aren't suited to that.
- Maintaining fish takes experience! Learn as much as you can before attempting your own business.
- Be prepared! Setting up a store requires money, time, energy and the necessary permits. "As a new business owner you will need to know your federal tax responsibilities."
- Lock up! Get an advanced security system. Small shops are key targets for burglars.
Things You'll Need
20 gallon (75.7 L) fish tanks
Under gravel filters
A power siphon for water changes
A faucet where you can connect the siphon
A test kit that analyzes the pH balance, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, hardness/alkalinity, etc.
Video: How to Start an Aquarium Shop
The Best Quilted Jackets You Can Buy In 2019
How to Teach Just About Anything
How to View DAV Files
Skin Types: Do You Have Combination, Oily, or Dry Skin
Lemon Loaf Cake Recipe
Selena Gomez Wore the Jeans Every Celebrity Is Obsessed With
21 Christmas Pregnancy Announcement Ideas
Fashion Advice for 2013 According to Your ZodiacSign
What A Breast Reduction Surgery Is Really Like
Penne Rigate with Mushrooms Tomatoes
How to Froth Milk for Cappuccino Without Fancy Tools
Dangers of Vaginal Mesh Surgery for Incontinence May Be Overstated
Why Im Celebrating Movember
How to Celebrate Your Husbands Birthday with No Money
1. Be patient: Happiness tends to grow with age
Date: 06.12.2018, 01:45 / Views: 53364