Gem Identification - Amber Testing
How to Test Amber Gemstones
Amber is a type of fossilized tree resin which is millions of years old. It comes in a variety of colours, the most common being a pale orange, though white, yellow, green, cherry red, dark brown and black are available too. There's even rare blue amber from the Dominican Republic. As with most gemstones, there are cheap imitations around so it's important to know ways to test amber gemstones that you come across.
Do the static test.
- Vigorously rub your amber on some wool for about 20 seconds to create static.
- Take a strand of hair and place the static-charged amber close to it. Real genuine amber should quickly attract the hair towards it, with the hair gently sticking to the gemstone. If no static is produced after rubbing on wool (ie it doesn't attract the hair) then you might have a piece of fake amber.
Know what to expect from each type of amber.
- Genuine amber is lightweight and warm to touch, not cold and heavy like glass.
- Loose amber beads can be tested in salt water. Add 25g of salt to 200ml water in a glass and drop your amber into it. Genuine amber should float, not quickly sink to the bottom.
- Genuine amber reacts to ultraviolet light. Take your amber into a darkened room and shine a cheap UV torch on it. If it gently glows, it's real.
Check your amber piece for seams and mold marks, which indicate it may actually be made from plastic.
How do you remove mildew from a real cherry amber carved piece?
Hot pin test for amber?
How can I tell if the bits are inside the amber, or on the mount?
- Always buy from a reputable dealer who has good reviews and feedback, and who offers a full money back guarantee.
- When buying amber, remember if the price is too good to be true, it normally is!
- There are some invasive methods of testing amber, such as a hot pin test. These work well, but may completely ruin your amber.
Sources and Citations
Upload a picture for other readers to see.
Jan 1, 2019
Nov 26, 2019
Jun 6, 2019
Video: Real/Fake Amber: 6 tests for identifying
40 Blastoise Tattoo Designs For Men – Pokemon Ink Ideas
MM6 Maison Margiela SpringSummer 2019 Collection – LFW
Vacuum Devices for Erectile Dysfunction
Couldn’t Sleep How to Stay On Track With Your Diabetes Management Plan
One engine No problem
The Danger of Low Sodium Diets
Glitter 101: Tips For Using The TrendyProduct
Here’s why Meghan Markle chose to wear a 7.99 nail varnish for the Royal Wedding
How to Make Time for Your Passions After Tiring Full Work Days
How to Cook a Whole Pig
How to Load a Golf Bag
Breast Cancer the Second Time
The Kensington Palace Renovations Set To Make Way For Prince William And Catherine